Skip to content
Our Core Beliefsadmin2017-03-06T16:24:31+00:00
Core Beliefs and Values
What We Believe
- We believe salvation is found in and through Jesus Christ.
- We believe God’s grace is an active part of each person’s life, from the moment of birth (prevenient grace), to the individual’s saving experience of God through Jesus Christ (justifying grace), and throughout the rest of his or her life in Christian discipleship (sanctifying grace).
- We believe a disciple of Jesus Christ is someone who seeks to grow in loving God and one’s neighbor each and every day.
- We believe God’s meets us where we are but does not leave us there, always inviting us to take our next step in faith.
- We believe that the Bible is the word of God and the primary authority for Christian life and faith. While we believe the Bible is true, we do not believe every verse of the Bible must be interpreted literally. We believe the search for truth begins with scripture through reason, tradition, and experience.
- We believe we are brought into relationship with Christ by grace through faith.
- We believe in personal holiness and social action.
- Our goal is to become like Christ by responding to God’s grace by the way we live each day.
- We believe in the balance of heart and head.
- We believe in providence on the one hand and human freedom on the other.
- We honor tradition yet embrace change.
- We believe God’s redemptive love is made real in human life through the presence of the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that we are part of Christ’s universal church as we become conformed to Christ.
- We recognize the kingdom of God as both a present and a future reality.
- While we share much in common with other Christians, we place a special emphasis on the love and grace of God.
- We observe two sacraments: baptism and Holy Communion.
- The mission of The United Methodist Church is “to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
- We follow three simple rules:
1) Do no harm
2) Do good
3) Stay in love with God
- We pray individually and together
- We study the Bible individually and together
- We come together to worship God and also gather in small groups
- We seek to grow in financial generosity
- We believe each person has at least one spiritual gift and that these are to be used in gifts-based service
- We encourage each follower to talk about the experience of faith in his or her own words